Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How Can I Remember Everything?

I have to remind myself that all these people are available online and I will be able find them again or at least information about them. I feel this desire to remember everything I hear. I feel like I have this responsibility to bring everything I learn back. I have every intention of coming back next year, I just hope that someone else comes with me. I just think I would remember better if I had someone from the school to use as a sounding board and we could imagine how we could use some of these ideas, resources and people to help our school.

I just listened to Christopher Rush of School of One. This is a school in New York developed by a middle school science teacher who said that we are failing not because we aren’t great inspired teachers but that basically the job is impossible. He describes a typical class rooms containing a high level reader who is always truant, a disruptive students, a student who can only function when it is quiet and she is alone or with one other person, and so on. All different levels (varying by 5 grades levels although they are the same age) all different preferred ways of learning, different interests, He said a typical lesson might be teaching fractions, at the end half the students get and half don’t. Do you move on or not. Anyway they have created this amazing school that uses computer technology to move students around putting them in small groups, larger whole class type situations, one on one with a real tutor, on a computer with a virtual tutor depending on their learning style and the standard they are trying to master and they don’t move on till they have got it and the computer tries to aid them in trying to figure out different ways they might learn it and based on their experiences (kind of like Pandora) and guesses what might work best for them. It was really amazing. I would love to go to New York and see this school. Anyway I want to read all about this school it they every want to create a proptype in Los Angeles, I’m there.

No comments:

Post a Comment